Zinc – To stay healthy and active
Zinc is an essential mineral that our bodies obtain through our diet to help keep us healthy and active. It is used in helping convert the food we eat into energy and to support growth and tissue repair. Zinc is required for the normal functioning of the immune system and in the structure and function of the skin. It also plays a vital role in wound healing.
It is important to have a varied and balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Health benefits of zinc
Why is Zinc important?
- Contributes to the normal function of the immune system
- Protection of cells from oxidative stress
- Normal cognitive function
- Maintenance of normal bones
- Contributes to the maintenance of normal hair, nails and skin
- Maintenance of normal vision
Wow! Zinc and Healthy Ageing
Zinc requirements do not increase as we age but it is important to ensure an adequate daily intake.
European Food Safety Authority
Saper RB, & Rash R. Am Fam Physician. 2009;79(9):768-72.