Iron - The energy that flows through the blood
Iron is a mineral whose main function is to carry oxygen to the haemoglobin of the red blood cells throughout the body so that the cells produce energy. When iron levels are low, fatigue can occur and electrolyte balance can be affected. Foods containing Vitamin C can help the body to absorb iron.
It is important to have a varied and balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
Health benefits of Iron
Why is Iron important?
- Reduction of tiredness and fatigue
- Contributes to normal cognitive function
- Formation of red blood cells and haemoglobin
- Contributes to normal oxygen transport in the body
- Function of the immune system
Wow! Iron and Healthy Ageing
Anaemia (iron deficiency) in old age has undesirable health outcomes, including an increased susceptibility to falling and depression. As we age, our eating habits can change as a result of inadequate dietary iron sources. This is why eating iron-rich foods is important
Wang J, & Pantopoulos K. Biochem J. 2011;434(3):365-81.